With its softness, its colors, its sound toys, its materials ... the mat of awakening is a very complete toy which helps to develop the senses of your baby, but also its muscles. Explanations.
Playground: tips from our specialist
It's a classic. One of the first toys offered to his child because it is really useful. What? The waking mat. Review of details with Fabienne-Agnès Lévine, educational psychologist.
- When? Put your baby on a waking mat before he walks. After, you can hang it up to your child's height, as a table of discoveries ... more fluffy!
- What's the point ? The mat is a stimulating place that changes your toddler's bed or park. At first, lie down preferably on the back. If he wants to turn around, he will find other positions of his own. Free of his movements, he can play with activities that will awaken his senses, sight, hearing, but especially touch. Then, around 6-7 months, he will discover this playful environment sitting.
- Ideally, how is it? Colorful and animated. It includes a number of activities, squeaker, toys to hide in a pocket, various tissues to handle, type crumpled papers, velvet ... Some even have an arch under which you can leave your baby until around 5 months. Afterwards, remove it and spread the objects around your child to make them want to catch them. The waking mat also exercises the coordination between the eye and the hand, develops the grip ... From "passive and contemplative player" in the very first months, your baby becomes active. The ideal wake-up mat is the one that, above all, offers a good balance between the discovery of one's body and that of objects.
Around 3-4 months: a stimulating cover
- Your baby has basically spent the first two months of his life sleeping, withdrawn, trying to find his position in utero. This transition period was indispensable for it to open to the world.
- Today, your toddler relaxes his legs, unfolds his arms, throws his hands up and opens his eyes to the world around him. It's time to go to sleep for a while on her waking mat after her feedings. He is not yet able to appreciate the colors, but he can already discern contrasts and be interested in geometries. Because the play mat plays on both shades that oppose and sharp forms. Your toddler will be enchanted by these tones, at first the flattened nose on his wake-up mat, then little by little, he will straighten his head to have a better overview. This is the kick-off of the great gymnastics he will accomplish, over the months, to stand one day!
Around 3-6 months: rewarding contacts
- At this age, your baby throws his arms to discover what surrounds him. When, surprise, he feels a hard object at hand, his fingers close again immediately. There he waves his little hand and ... hears the sound of a bell. The opportunity to ask if there is a relationship between his gesture and this funny sound. So, he starts again! And yes, it's his hand, so he, who provoked this little music. Your baby will let go of the toy connected to the carpet by a cord, then very quickly start exploring with his hand. If she meets the same toy, her beep will remind her that he can catch it. Your baby will no longer close his hand in a "reflex" way the first time, but will apply to seize this toy voluntarily.
- A few days later, having advanced his "body mobility", he will try, by letting himself roll on his back and then on his stomach, to go in search of this musical object ... if he does not find it under his hand. These mis-data roulades are another progress in the knowledge of his physical possibilities.